Cute Little Blue Penguin
Now At The Melbourne Zoo
Home | Melbourne Zoo | The Little Blue Penguin
The Melbourne Zoo now has the most amazing exhibit, The Wild Sea displaying Victoria's marine wildlife.
Introduce yourself to this cute little creature here at the Zoo and then perhaps extend your friendship and explore the other venues where you can get up close and personal with this little penguin.
The display has large floor to ceiling viewing windows you are able
to watch the swimming skills of seals and these cute penguins.
Delight in the penguin's agile diving and aquatic antics.
The Fairy Penguins - Melbourne Zoo - Australia
This may be a flightless bird but it wins the gold medal for swimming!
Little Penguin - Wild Sea Display - Melbourne Zoo
Facts About The Little Penguin
- The Little Penguin is the smallest species of penguin.
- They can be found on the coastlines of Southern Australia and New Zealand.
- Sometimes known as Fairy Penguins, these cute penguins grow to around 43cm (17inches) tall.
- The male is a little larger than the female.
- Their coloring is slate grey with their upper plumage areas an indigo color. Underneath is white from their chin to their belly.
- They have webbed feet.
- The little penguin has a lifespan on average of 6.5 years.
- Breeding is carried out all along the entire southern coastline of Australia, including Tasmania.
- These flightless birds feed by hunting for fish, squid and other small marine animals. Normally they feed fairly close to shore however they have been known to travel quite substantial distances in search for food.
- Breeding begins around the age of 3 or 4 years of age.
- They are monotremes(egg laying) and have a tendency to mate and remain loyal to their chosen partner for life.
- The little blue penguin will choose a nesting place and return to it time and time again.
- They live in small colonies.
- Each breeding pair digs out a burrow and usually a pair of chicks are born.
- The little blue penguins return to their nest at dusk to feed their young. They arrive on shore in small groups helping to protect themselves from predators.
- In Melbourne, Australia their breeding ground can be found on Phillip Island.
The Melbourne Zoo Little Blue Penguin
The Melbourne Zoo is open between 9:00am and 5:00pm every day of the year.
Access is easy by public transport or you can drive and park near by.
For more information check out How to get to the Zoo
If you would like to see more little blue penguin antics and other creatures that live in the deep blue sea, visit another top Melbourne Attraction in the heart of the city The Melbourne Aquarium.
A great way to save money and budget in a lot more great Melbourne Attractions to visit, is to use the Melbourne Sightseeing and Attraction Pass with free entry to over 40 different venues.
Feeding The Penguins At The Melbourne Zoo
Loving The Penguin Tours
Book A Phillip Island Penguin Parade Tour Now
See these little creatures in their Natural Environment
It really is an amazing sight to see these little blue penguins waddling up the sandy dunes.
You can follow their journey right up to their burrows, sometimes they are a few inches away from you...amazing!
You and your children will love the experience!
Click Onto The Image Below
What other Animals are at the Melbourne Zoo?
Back to Top
Aug 16, 17 09:11 PM
This Father's Day treat Dad to something different! Instead of the usual socks and jocks, why not get out of the house and spend the day soaring with Dad to the highest point of the Mornington Peninsu…
Let's Keep In Touch On A Regular Basis
Never Miss Out on What's New!
Keep up to date with what is going on as new content is added to the site.
Subscribe to the Free Monthly Newsletter.
Just fill in your details and enjoy Melbourne Up To Date News.
Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure and I have no intention of flooding your inbox with loads of rubbish.
Do unto others I say and I certainly don't appreciate spam so no doubt you are the same.
If perchance you do hear from me more than once a month it's because I will have something incredibly important to share with you.
Please note that some links on this page are to companies
that I have an affiliation with. By that I mean that if you purchase a product
through them I receive a very small commission. This way of earning income is
termed Monetization and it is a way for me to keep my site out here for you to
enjoy. I will only affiliate with companies that I feel offer value for money
and excellent back up service. These are Companies that I personally have used
to purchase products for myself, my family and my friends. To learn more please
refer to my Disclaimer page
Follow Family Getaways Melbourne On Pinterest
Click Any Social Media Button And Follow