Pin me to your Pinterest Board
This page deals with a selection of cold picnic food ideas that will delight all your family and friends.
These recipes are simple to make up, they don't take too much time to prepare and will probably have your mouth watering by the end of your read.
From a simple Delicatessen selection of cold meats, cheeses and nibbles, to yummy, delicious homemade delights, the choices for cold picnic food recipes are endless.
One thing I always try to remember is to 'Keep it Simple'.
This goes for the cold picnic food recipes as well. Too many flavors or spices can spoil all your hard efforts.
Your guests' tummies, be they family or friends, will be so appreciative of your consideration.
Serving Size : 6
- Medium size cabbage -- green
- 2 large carrots
- 1 cup Mayonnaise -- Your Favourite, creamy Supermarket buy is fine
- 1/4 cup white vinegar -- serve to taste
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard -- Your Choice again
- 1 cup raisins
- Chopped apple
- Trim the tough outer leaves from the cabbage.
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and cut away the core.
- Finely shred the cabbage leaves. There should be about 8 cups.
- Peel the carrots and trim the ends then grate them coarsely or chop finely.
- Stir the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and mustard together in a large bowl until blended.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, apples and raisins and toss well.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator for at least a few hours and toss well before serving.
You might like to make this up the day before as all the flavors seem to blend better on standing. Serve as a side salad or fill for a sandwich.
Serving Size : 6
- 1 cabbage head 1 onion -- minced
- 2 tablespoons salad vinegar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise -- * see note
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- paprika -- optional
- green bell peppers, slivered -- optional
- red bell peppers, slivered -- optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard -- optional
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed -- optional
* Use only real mayonnaise, not salad dressing.
This coleslaw must be allowed to blend flavors in refrigerator for 2 hours or more (overnight is best) for best taste.
- Shred cabbage into very thin strands.
- Sprinkle thoroughly with vinegar, mix in the minced onion, fresh ground black pepper and sugar.
- Put into an airtight bowl or plastic bag and refrigerate for 1 hour or more.
- Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, dry mustard (if desired) and salt.
- If using green and red sweet peppers, sliver them before adding to sour cream mixture.
- Add celery seeds at this time also if you are using them.
- Add this mixture to the chilled cabbage and shake in plastic bags or stir gently to mix thoroughly.
- Place back in refrigerator for 2 hours or more. Overnight is best.
Serve as a side dish to those BBQ'd chicken wings etc or as a filling in that freshly baked bread roll.
Potato Salad With Beer Dressing - The Best Potato Salad Recipe
Serving Size : 4
- 6 potatoes
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 or more bacon slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped onions
- 1 celery stalk -- chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 teaspoons flour, plain
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup beer (the secret ingredient)...hey your choice of brand!
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley -- chopped
- Boil potatoes until just tender.
- Peel and slice.
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Break into small pieces and mix with onion, celery and salt; set aside.
- Stir melted butter and flour in a small saucepan until blended.
- Add mustard and sugar.
- Slowly stir in beer and Tabasco sauce.
- Bring to a boil slowly, stirring constantly so as to avoid any lumps.
- Pour over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Toss lightly and let stand 1 hour.
- Add bacon mixture; toss gently.
Don't tell anyone about the secret ingredient ... keep 'em guessing!
One of my favorite Cold Picnic Food Recipes, why not serve this with a selection of Beers to really quench the thirst.
Grannie's Best Egg Salad Recipe
Serving Size : 3-4
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 6 Hard-cooked eggs -- chopped
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped celery
- Lettuce leaves or bread to serve mix on.
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, onion, salt and pepper.
- Stir in eggs and celery.
- Cover and chill.
- For each serving, spoon about 1/2 cup onto a lettuce leaf or spread onto freshly baked bread.
Serve as is or with other fresh Cold Picnic Food Recipes, choice tasty cheeses or topped with slivers of smoked salmon.